Marketing, Communications & Business Development Executive
Summary of Qualifications
Offering 15 years experience in marketing communications and business development with passionate expertise in digital media. Highly successful in offering creative marketing strategies and communications programs with an attention to high-impact, high-value tactics. Cross-media experience with an affinity for the measurable results and audience engagement that can be achieved through most forms of digital media. Analytical with an extensive understanding of media business. Successful experience branding and rebranding corporations, products and services in a variety of categories and verticals.
Areas of Expertise
- Strategic Planning
- Business Development
- Marketing Communications
- Digital Media
- Social Media
- Brand Creation and Development
- Corporate Communications
- Executive Presentations
- Internet Communications
Created and developed the first Internet brand for the college audience, from conception to execution, achieving profitability through groundbreaking online advertising. Grew membership of kid’s media property ten-fold in less than a year, engaging over 1 million kids (and their parents). Launched the first local web site for the nations largest privately held media company, growing it to millions of monthly page views. Created business-to-business brand extension for business-to-consumer marketer of downloadable audiobooks.
The New Rules, Marketing & Business Development Consultant. (January 2009 - Present)
- Marketing communications, strategic planning and business development programs for enterprises of various sizes, ranging from startups to established corporations. Engagements include strategy and business development projects on behalf of digital agencies; social media marketing programs for SMB’s.
BlogTalkRadio, Vice President of Marketing. (July 2008 - January 2009)
- Oversaw market strategy, brand development and marketing communications. Increased inbound lead generation from prospective partners and customers by over 300%.
IconNicholson, Senior Strategist. (June 2007 - July 2008)Strategy and account director for digital media agency’s longest-held client relationship
- Successfully expanded client/agency relationship to include multiple business units and product groups
- Grew profitable agency P&L
Audible, Inc., (Acquired by Amazon.com - AMZN) Sr. Director, Podcasting. (August 2005 - June 2007)
- Creator and general manager of the Company’s podcasting business unit. Develop strategies; manage marketing, sales, business development and product development teams with P&L responsibility.
- Extended Audible's intellectual property and technologies to support RSS delivery of protected content
- Created business-to-business brand extension for commercial podcasting platform
- Developed the first podcast audience measurement system determined “audit-ready” for reach, frequency and playback validation by a credible third-party media auditing firm
- Successfully launched commercial podcasting platform at industry trade show resulting in international media coverage, blogosphere buzz and thousands of inbound leads from media producers of all sizes
- Worked closely with Company wireless group to ensure consistent over-the-air delivery of podcasts to mobile phones
- Served as the Company spokesperson on podcasting and industry evangelist for the Company’s podcasting platform
Audible, Inc., Marketing & Business Development Consultant (December 2004 – August 2005)
Full-time engagement as a consultant to executive management. Introduced new, profitable customer acquisition channels, then introduced and developed the Company's podcasting strategy.
The New Rules, LLC, Marketing & Business Development Consultant. (October 1999 - August 2005)
- Marketing communications, strategic planning and business development for enterprises of various sizes. Engagements include startups to established corporations for new and existing lines of business. Client engagements have included some or all of the following:
- Development, refinement and management of business development & marketing strategies and programs
- Development of marketing communications for use in collateral, print advertising, corporate web sites, e-commerce, email, search engines, trade shows and direct mail
- Positioning, repositioning, naming and renaming businesses, products and service offerings
- Segments & Channels have included:
Business-to-Business, Business-to-Consumer, Channel
Marketing, Direct-to-Customer Marketing, Partner
Target Audiences included: CEO’s, Partners, Owners of companies; CIO’s, IT Management; Marketing Management; Teens, kids and parents; Media; Affluent Married Individuals; Corporate Safety Directors; Independent Professionals.
MaMaMedia, Director of Marketing & Member Development. (1999)
- Customer acquisition, retention and CRM efforts for kids media company
- Grew the member base ten-fold in less than one year
- Developed and implemented successful online marketing strategies and tactics
- Successful partner marketing and business development efforts with AOL, Netscape, Disney, others
- Grew and managed a team of marketing and business development professionals
get2net, Director of Marketing. (1998)
Directed all marketing, brand, product and business development efforts for the country's premiere purveyor of public access Internet and value-added services for mobile professionals
- Led product development team including systems and software groups
- Initiated and developed successful strategic partnerships with technology and content providers
- Oversaw corporate communications including branding, public and media relations and corporate collateral, web site and interface design
- Managed sales forces for both advertising and service roll-outs
WroughtIron Communications, Director, Client Development. (1997 - 1998)
Principal consultant of technology marketing and business development firm.
- Client engagements included: E-commerce, Financial Software Development, Systems Integration, Internet Media, Package Goods, Network Engineering, Information and Management Services, Internet Communications Services, Computer Security Products, Application Development Software, Business and Software Consulting Services, and Retail Brokerage Software.
NJ.com/Advance Internet, Director of Marketing. (1995 - 1997)
Led market and brand development efforts for the first local, Internet-based online service and content syndication unit of Advance Internet (AI)
- Launched local online media property, achieving 1 million page views per day in less than two years
- Led advertising and public relations firms to develop multi-million dollar branding and awareness campaign
- Constructed effective e-mail marketing programs using permission-marketing strategies
- Specified and oversaw development of various software projects for use by NJ.com and AI
MarketSource Corp, Manager, Marketing & Operations, Internet Services. (1994 - 1995)
Founded profitable e-business division of marketing services company.
- Created and developed the first Internet brand for the college audience, from conception to execution.
McCabe & Company, Account Executive. 1994
Scali, McCabe, Sloves, Broadcast Coordinator. 1992 to 1993
On Digital Media, Host and Executive Producer. (August 2006 – present)
Creator of business-to-business podcast with a large and influential global audience. (http://www.odmcast.com)
SoundBoard, LLC Facilitator. (January 2003 - May 2004)
Facilitated peer discussion groups for Chief Executives and owners of small and middle market companies.
The Free Agent Forum, Executive Director. (May 2001 - December 2003)
Founder of association for independent professionals. Forcused on organizational development, corporate relationship building, conference development, membership development and sponsorship sales
Coordinator, Fast Company Magazine’s Company of Friends, New York Chapter. (2002 to 2003)
Marist College, Poughkeepsie, New York.
BA, Communications (Marketing Communications + Radio/TV/Film)
- Trained in The Sandler Selling System
- Certified in The Interaction Method for meeting facilitation
- Chair, Membership Committee, The Association for Downloadable Media (http://www.downloadablemedia.org)
- Member of the Measurement Standards Committee, The Association for Downloadable Media
- Social Media Club, New York Chapter
- The New York New Technology Meetup
“Method and Apparatus for Customized Content Delivery” serial no. 20080091796 (Pending)
Proficient in understanding, communicating, integrating and managing all types of technical projects, products and services including web-based technologies, wireless and all forms of digital media.
Select Speaking Engagements & Press
- The Virtuous Circle of Blogging, Micro-Blogging and Podcasting, NYU Masters in Integrated Marketing, March 2009
- Podcasting in Your Marketing Mix, NYU Advanced Online Marketing, November 2007
- Reinventing Radio: The Future is Now, Center for Communication at Hunter College, October 2007
- Monetizing New Media with New Measurement, PodCamp Boston, October 2007
- The New Ways Consumers Are Getting Content For Portable Devices, Consumer Electronics Show, January 2007
- Podcast Metrics: Gauging Success With Different Audience Segments, Podcast & Portable Media Expo, September 2006
- Who and How Many? Collaborating as an Industry to Answer The Measurement Question, Podango Unconference, Podcast & Portable Media Expo, September 2006
- The Development of Measurement Standards. Corporate Podcasting Summit, June 2006
- The Business of Podcasting. InfoWorld Magazine Technology Conference East, May 2006
- Marketing Opportunities in Emerging Mobile Entertainment...Consumers in Control. Mobile Entertainment Symposium, May 2006
- Metrics: “Who” and “How Many”?. The Podcast Academy II, April 2006
- The Business of Podcasting.InfoWorld Magazine Technology Conference West, March 2006
- Platforms for the Future. Integrated Media Association Conference, February 2006
- Podcasting Metrics.Podcast & Portable Media Expo, November 2005
- Business & Monetization. Duke University Podcasting Symposium, September 2005
- Marketing Strategies & Tactics for A Recession. Smooth Engine Small Business Conference, February 2002
- Choose Your Words Carefully. New York Newsday, Business Section, January 20, 2002
- Working With Your Competition. The Associated Press, August 9, 2001
- Data Mining & Analysis: Metrics Strategy. The New Jersey Technology Council, May 2001
- Incorporating the Internet Into Your Marketing Mix. The New Jersey Ad Club, March 1996